02 November 2006

Of Diwali and the joys of the bed tea...

As a child I remember.. the manner in which my mom woke me up was…well different, she used to prepare this concoction which was a mixture of three parts milk and one part of elaichi tea. I used to wake up to my mom’s call of “Chinoo”, not actually wake up since my eyes would not be open to see where the glass was, it was more like I would be in a sitting position ready to drink what was given to me.

The flavor of that mixture used to decide the mood of the first part of my day. As of this day, I have been out of touch with this ritual for close to 14 years, but it all came back to me on the after diwali morning. I was sleeping like a log in the coziest of beds and the coolest of winds on the seventh floor of a high rise in Bangalore, having blasted some real good crackers the previous night on the eve of Diwali. The Hosts for me this time were Pradeep Sonthalia’s Bhaiya n Bhabhi and I have to say they are a wonderful couple. Their made up fights reminded me so much about the funny interactions of my parents. But coming back to the bed tea part, I was sleeping and all of a sudden I heard Bhabhi’s voice saying “ Manan Bhaiya”, I woke up and found bhabhi standing in the room with a tea cup in her hand, it was at this moment that all the memories came rushing to me, it was a moment before I could take the cup from her, all I could manage to say was “ Bhabhi, u will spoil me” to which she said “ I wont, u are here just for 2 days”.

It has been a really long time since I was offered a bed tea, but what strikes me as disturbing is that I have forgotten the simple pleasure that it is. For me, now a tea in the morning simply means a walk to the tea stall near college in the scorching sun, and an indifferent shop owner saying “Tea Saaaar”.

God only knows how many more such pleasures I have forgotten over the years and need to be reminded of. But at the same time I confess, I hope I have many such forgotten pleasures to be rediscovered in the times to come, the feeling of stumbling upon some such pleasure is worth the anxiety of having forgotten one.



A simple pleasure lost and found,
A feeling sets in, makes no sound,
It takes me over, makes me bound,
Of the olden roads, I take a round.

A simple pleasure, lost and found,
A simple pleasure so profound.

9 Comments:

Blogger Laks said...

hey,
I know what you mean. I have been pampered all my life, that, i guess i'll start to miss SO MUCH once i get out. Your situation is kinda analogous to those where u need to loose things to realize that you've once had them. Good poem at the end i must say.. keep em rolling :)

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God created Moms for a special purpose! I remember once I had to catch a train at 4:30 AM, so I asked to be woken up at 3 AM. I woke up at 2:45 or so on my own to see my mother sitting by with a cup of tea for me. She had been awake since 2:15 or so and was waiting for the clock to strike 3 to wake me up.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cardamom tea? Here is a recipe for a cup of tea for you:
- TSP of tea leaves, Orange Pekoe are excellent, else Darjeeling Leaf tea would do

- Hot boiling water poured down the kettle

- Seep for 2 minutes and 37 seconds (mind you - this is IMPORTANT)

- Add a pinch of sugar

- Add 1.5 TSP cold milk (not hot!)

Enjoy .. as you watch the rain against your window and pretend to read the newspaper.

Now, as to 37 seconds (and not 30 or 45), there is a philosophy I have espoused since years .. "Question your beliefs and set patterns" .. why do we call a meeting at 2:30? Or 10:00? What is so wrong with 2:37? Or 9:51?

Ask questions, don't accept answers because they are from a set pattern, a comfort zone or convenience.

Ask while you are still young.

Surf's up, Dude!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At this rate, you would be blogging "Happy New Year" in August of any given year. Where is the latest edition, dost?

11:04 AM  
Blogger nebuchandnazzer said...

friends, this blog has been now moved to www.quasiutopic.wordpress.com

check it out!!!

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.unblocksproxy.com]UNBLOCK TWITTER PROXY [/url]

If , perhaps you want to bypass a proxy server, be it while at work or at school, you have two options open up to you. The first is straight forward and easy and involves only your web browser. The second is a bit more complex but could be necessary if the first solution does not deliver.

Should you be lucky enough, bypassing the proxy at your work or school may be as simple as disabling it in your web browser. Check the internet connection settings of your web browser and check to see if the proxy server details are put in place in your web browser. Whenever they are, try to disable them and connect to online again. Many timesthat with some luck the proxy server is disabled but you are now able to access the web normally.

Many schools or offices block specific websites (such as social networking or classified sites) and furthermore this is usually why you may have trouble accessing them. They did this usually with the goal of stopping students or employees from wasting valuable time online visiting unproductive websites. However, your school or office does not and cannot block the entire internet. Instead they block specific websites determined by their site link. Therefore, you are free to access a proxy server which then redirects your connection to your desired website allowing you to access the blocked website even from work or school.

To bypass a proxy server, first check to see if your web browser at work or school is setup to access the proxy. Disable it and try again. As a last resort, you may need to setup your own elite proxy in order to access websites while at work or school.

[url=http://www.unblocksproxy.com?BYPASS+MYSPACE]BYPASS BEBO PROXY [/url]

5:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

в тему http://dematom.com/images/2011/03/28/211525-djastin_biber_ne_ne_slyshal.jpg


_________________
Безнаказанность — богатство. СОСНИ ХУЙЦА

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Сайт [url=http://tvoiamyzika.ru/]аккордов, табов, песен[/url],
у нас очень великолепная подборка гитарных аккордов и песен около гитару.
Зайдя к нам вы будете очень рады качеством и удобством нашего сайта с [url=http://tvoiamyzika.ru/lr]аккордами под гитару[/url]

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Доброй ночи!
Такой забавный сайт.

Масса приколов...Гердос, Мефедрон, Мяу-Мяу, Меф, и т.д.
Доброе пожаловать на сайт:
[b]
http://abyzadygas.tk


[/b]

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home